Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Redirecting via Exchange 2010 OWA of a user with a legacy Exchange 2003 mailbox throws the error: “Your request couldn't be completed because no server with the correct security settings was found to handle the request. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk.”

It’s been awhile since I’ve done an Exchange Server 2003 to 2010 transition and as I’m in the process of reconfiguring OWA for this client, I realized there were quite a few things I’ve come across in the past and forgot some key items during the migration.  Since I’m bound to forget these again if I don’t do another migration for a few months, I thought I’d write this blog post to serve as a reminder for myself and perhaps help others who may come across the same problem.

Problem

You’ve reconfigured your public DNS records to have legacy.domain.com directed to your legacy Exchange 2003 server and updated your webmail / owa / mail .domain.com record to direct traffic to your new Exchange 2010 CAS server.  With everything seemingly configured, you navigate to the Outlook Web App page of your Exchange 2010 CAS server from the internet and log in with a legacy user’s mailbox only to get the following error:

Your request couldn't be completed because no server with the correct security settings was found to handle the request. If the problem continues, contact your helpdesk.

Request
Url: https://webmail.domain.com:443/owa/auth/error.aspx
User host address: 64.17.14.25
OWA version: 14.1.218.13

image

Solution

The reason why you’re receiving this error is because you haven’t set Exchange 2010’s CAS server for it to know what is the URL for your Exchange 2010 Outlook Web App and what is the URL for your legacy Exchange 2003 Outlook Web Access.

Open up your Exchange Management Shell and execute the following with the appropriate fields:

Get-OwaVirtualDirectory -server internalCASserverName | Set-OwaVirtualDirectory -externalURL https://webmail.yourDomain.com/OWA -Exchange2003URL https://legacy.yourDomain.com/exchange

Executing the command above won’t give you any confirmation (as with most cmdlets) so it will look something like the following:

image

From here on, the redirect for legacy Exchange 2003 users should work as expected.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have user mailboxes on 2003 and a few on 2010 (testing phase). My mailbox on 2010 can send and receive emails no problem. But when I go to https://webmail.domain.com I get the OWA 2010 login screen but when I try to login nothing happens - just freezes.

When a user who has a mailbox on 2003 goes to the same link and is presented with the 2010 OWAlogon scrren and logs in they are then redirected to their OWA (2003 format).

How can I get it to work with users on 2010?

Terence Luk said...

Hi,

It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot the issue if we're just seeing symptons of freezing. What I suggest is to turn on logging for OWA to "Expert" mode so you get more entries in the event logs as to what might be going wrong in the background.

Rob said...

Terence,

I am migrating from 2007 to 2010 and having the same problem. I have one 2007 box with all roles and one 2010 box with all roles. What I want though it for Ex2010 to proxy the connection to 2007 instead of redirecting. Do I need a third server with the CAS role installed to proxy the connection to either server or can I do it with just two?